Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the remainder of the spring session has been cancelled.
We had originally said that our closure would be reassessed after a short while. Unfortunately, as you will all be aware, this is now well out of our hands. Even if the lockdown and restrictions are lifted in May, we feel that this would not leave enough time to rehearse properly for a June concert. In addition, in view of the age profile of the orchestra, it would not be advisable for us to meet for rehearsals.
As a result, we have decided that we have to cancel the orchestra for the remainder of the term. We are all really disappointed to have to make this decision but it needs to be done for everyone’s safety. We’re sorry.
We have discussed the possibility of offering refunds to players for the remainder of this session. We can’t provide refunds at the moment as we don’t have internet banking, but we will offer them when we can. This may be in the form of a reduced rate for next session if you wish to play then, but we will confirm everything once we’ve figured out the details.
We have also made the decision to offer the places for the autumn session to this session’s playing members first; so everyone who had a place for the spring session is guaranteed a place for the next session. As there is always some movement from session to session, we will create a reserve list containing those players who were on the waiting list for this session.
In addition to wondering when we will be able to return to normal, we’ve been looking at ways of keeping in contact with everyone. One thing that we have implemented is a virtual pub quiz. The first one was held on 21 April, and it is planned to hold another on Tuesday 5 May. Details will be given on the website nearer the time. We are open to other suggestions.